[j-nsp] Strange issue
james list
2018-09-10 13:52:11 UTC
Dear experts
I'm wondering if you can provide any hints/help on this problem.

We experienced a strange issue in reaching the remote devices (servers) and
perforiming bulk snmp walk, instead direct object query was working fine.

After an entire nigth of issues (22pm to 6am), the problem disappeared
alone...

During this problem we've experienced also others isses, but we was not
able to find the root cause nor any issues on our firewall.

We asked to the carrier (which has also firewall in the middle since it
provides services) but it seems also it didn't detect any issue.

I think the carrier had some problem but I'm not able to prove it.

Have you never seen this kind of issue ?

What can be realated to ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Cheers
James
Lukas Tribus
2018-09-10 21:20:01 UTC
Post by james list
Dear experts
I'm wondering if you can provide any hints/help on this problem.
We experienced a strange issue in reaching the remote devices (servers) and
perforiming bulk snmp walk, instead direct object query was working fine.
Sounds like a temporary MTU problem to me ...
Post by james list
After an entire nigth of issues (22pm to 6am), the problem disappeared
alone...
... on a backup path of that carrier, which was used during this time
and *should* have protected your circuit but did not deliver the full
MTU you require. When the primary path came back up, your service
return to normal.

Have the carrier confirm the reroute and ask to check the MTU on the
backup path.
Post by james list
I think the carrier had some problem but I'm not able to prove it.
Have you never seen this kind of issue ?
Always check the MTU in those cases and consider implementing it as an
additional check in your monitoring system.

lukas
Saku Ytti
2018-09-10 22:16:14 UTC
Post by Lukas Tribus
Post by james list
We experienced a strange issue in reaching the remote devices (servers) and
perforiming bulk snmp walk, instead direct object query was working fine.
Sounds like a temporary MTU problem to me ...
Please elaborate. Bulk walk does bulk get 'OID X and next Y OIDs'.
Specific get is 'OID X'. So what OP is proposing sounds like smaller
UDP datagrams didn't pass, but larger did. My doge coins would be on
edge policer limiting small UDP packets.
--
++ytti
Saku Ytti
james list