[j-nsp] MX80 Input Scheduling/Shaping
Eric Van Tol
2018-10-05 10:21:57 UTC
Hi all,
I've looked at the docs and can't find this, so maybe someone can point me in the right direction here. What are the limitations/restrictions on using input scheduling and shaping on the MX80 MICs? I have the 'traffic-manager mode ingress-and-egress' configured for the PIC and the following configured as a test in the CoS interfaces stanza:

ge-1/2/4 {
scheduler-map eth-egress;
input-scheduler-map eth-egress;
shaping-rate 50m;
input-shaping-rate 50m;

While this commits fine sometimes, it seems that whenever I make certain changes to other parts of the config, completely unrelated to ge-1/2/4, I get a commit error:

***@mx80# show | compare
[edit interfaces]
+ ge-1/2/5 { /* OMITTED */ };
[edit bridge-domains bd1]
interface ge-1/2/4.1 { ... }
+ interface ge-1/2/5.1;

[edit]
***@mx80# commit check
[edit class-of-service interfaces ge-1/2/4 input-scheduler-map]
'input-scheduler-map eth-egress'
input scheduler map not allowed on interface ge-1/2/4
error: configuration check-out failed

[edit]
***@mx80# rollback
load complete

[edit]
***@mx80# commit check
configuration check succeeds

Sometimes I'll make a change, delete it, and the commit still won't work until I do a full rollback:

[edit]
***@mx80# commit check
[edit class-of-service interfaces ge-1/2/4 input-scheduler-map]
'input-scheduler-map eth-egress'
input scheduler map not allowed on interface ge-1/2/4
error: configuration check-out failed

[edit]
***@mx80# show | compare

[edit]
***@mx80# rollback
load complete

[edit]
***@mx80# commit check
configuration check succeeds

This particular MX80 is on 17.1R1.8, but production will likely just use whatever the recommended version is. What gives here? Are certain aspects of ingress CoS not supported by the MX80?

Thanks,
evt
Alexander Arseniev via juniper-nsp
2018-10-05 17:37:11 UTC
Hello,

Ingress scheduling is supported only on Q and EQ MPCs - Juniper MX
series book, 2nd ed, page 598.

MX80 COS capabilities are roughly equal to MPC1, without Q.

HTH

Thx

Alex
Hi all,
2018-10-05 19:20:06 UTC
Post by Alexander Arseniev via juniper-nsp
Ingress scheduling is supported only on Q and EQ MPCs - Juniper MX
series book, 2nd ed, page 598.
MX80 COS capabilities are roughly equal to MPC1, without Q.
Disagree. MX80 does per-VLAN queuing/scheduling/shaping just fine for
ports on MICs. *Not* for the builtin 10G ports.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, ***@nethelp.no
Alexander Arseniev via juniper-nsp
2018-10-06 01:44:51 UTC
Hello,
Egress scheduling/shaping on MIC ports - correct, that's why I said
"roughly" equal.
Ingress scheduling/shaping requires Q or EQ MPC which is not supported
on MX80.
Thanks
Alex

Tim Jackson
2018-10-06 02:25:42 UTC
The QX/Dense Queuing Block exists for the MIC slots on the MX80.

Looks like you get 12 queues per MX80/104 for ingress shaping. Doesn't seem
to be tied to QX at all. Egress you get per unit on the MIC slots though.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/cos-configuring-ingress-hierarchical-cos-on-trio-mpc-mic.html

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/cos-hierarchical-scheduling-understanding-fine-grained-queuing-for.html

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018, 8:45 PM Alexander Arseniev via juniper-nsp <
2018-10-06 14:01:06 UTC
This is bit nit picking but the QX isn't in any physical way tied to
the MIC slots, it's just dimensioning issue to avoid oversubscribing
the QX chip severely.

Technically the 10GE ports are the proper WAN side in MX80, MIC is
actually where the fabric normally would sit. All of the ports could
use QX for queueing, but it's just not allowed through software on the
10GE ports.

I'm not certain but I faintly recall that the fixed chassis MX80 didn't have QX.
Krasimir Avramski
2018-10-06 14:16:42 UTC
but it's just not allowed through software on the 10GE ports.
It is allowed since 16.1
I'm not certain but I faintly recall that the fixed chassis MX80 didn't have QX.
Correct.

Best Regards,
Krasi
Eric Van Tol
2018-10-08 11:05:42 UTC
Looks like you get 12 queues per MX80/104 for ingress shaping. Doesn't seem to be tied to QX at all. Egress you get per unit on the MIC slots though.
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/cos-configuring-ingress-hierarchical-cos-on-trio-mpc-mic.html
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/cos-hierarchical-scheduling-understanding-fine-grained-queuing-for.html
So according to this, ingress scheduling is supported on the MX80 MIC slots. My question remains, which is, wtf is up with the inconsistent commit error? I checked PRs, but I've yet to find anything relevant.

-evt
Eric Van Tol
2018-10-23 23:52:07 UTC
Posting here for posterity.

The issue turned out to be that ingress scheduling can only be enabled on one MIC in the MX80. I had it enabled on both MICs and once I removed 1/0 and 1/1, the errors seem to have gone away. I only discovered this information in the Juniper MX Series, 2nd Edition book by Doug Hanks, Harry Reynolds and David Roy. If only the Juniper docs would mention this fact somewhere, or at least somewhere more obvious.

-evt